88-year-old Kazuko Kikuchi, the founder of Kikuchi gymnastics, says that she is still strong because she connects the brain and the body. She taught me two simple movements that anyone can do to “move your brain and legs for life”.
Table of contents
- Profile of Kazuko Kikuchi
- If you pay attention to your body every day, you can also use an “air chair”
- Sit against the wall to build lower body strength
- Connect your brain and body by running and jumping on the spot
- Held on November 30, 2022! [Venue held] Kikuchi gymnastics lecture
Profile of Kazuko Kikuchi
Born in 1934 (Showa 9). Currently 88 years old. She graduated from Japan Women’s College of Physical Education. After working as a physical education teacher, she founded “Kikuchi Exercise” and has been teaching for over 50 years through daily classes, radio, television, and lectures. She has directly managed schools in Kanagawa and Tokyo. “Young and beautiful with ‘awareness’ and ‘movement’! He is the author of many books, including Kikuchi Exercise and “By changing the way you stand, you will never get old” with a DVD” (both published by Halmek).
What is Kikuchi Exercise?
Kikuchi gymnastics is not moving with a goal of form and number of times, but it is moved by sensing one’s own body with the brain. “Your body is your life itself. Let’s move together from today.” (Kazuko Kikuchi)
If you pay attention to your body every day, you can also use an “air chair”
I was once asked, “Do you have any tips for continuing Kikuchi exercises every day?”
There is no such thing. Soberly, steadily, every day, move. So anyone can do it.
I also hurt and lost muscle, but each time I tried to stretch my awareness throughout my body, saying, “Do your best with your toes!” I have made it work.
The only thing is to have a strong feeling that “I am the only one who can move this body and make it better”. So it’s okay, you can do it too.
Sit against the wall to build lower body strength
Peach strength is important for walking and climbing stairs. If you have weak thigh muscles, use this “air chair” to strengthen your muscles.
1. It doesn’t matter if you can’t do it like in the picture at first, or if your waist is high. Use your abs to press your spine against the wall. Keep your buttocks and head away from the wall! Use your toes to step on.
2. Once you get used to it, lower your waist position little by little. It’s just the right height for the picture.
I think that the first person will feel hard, but let’s do it little by little every day. When the muscles of the stomach, buttocks, and thighs support the weight of the upper body, the burden on the knees and ankles is reduced.
Connect your brain and body by running and jumping on the spot
Not only can you walk without falling, but you can safely climb and descend stairs without a strong connection between your brain and your legs.
1. Step your left foot forward and swing your right arm forward to get into a running position.
2. Swap the forward arms and legs while jumping on the spot.
3. When you land, your right leg is forward and your left arm is forward. Repeat this. Every time you jump, swing your arms and move your legs as if you were running.
When I had the Halmek staff do the movements in the photo, my left leg and left hand came out at the same time. If I slowly thought about it with my brain and then moved it, it worked fine, but if I didn’t do it normally, my brain and body would become disjointed.
Swing your arms and jump at least once a day. It’s surprisingly fun.
*If you are in pain due to an injury or illness, do not force yourself to move and follow the doctor’s instructions.
Photo = Noriyuki Nabeshima, Hiroto Nakanishi Illustration = Kyoko Ura Model = Nobuko Ota Hair and make-up = Kesaki
Held on November 30, 2022! [Venue held] Kikuchi gymnastics lecture
Why don’t you actually experience the movement of Halmek’s popular series “Kikuchi Exercise” and the story of Kazuko Kikuchi? In this lecture, Kazuko Kikuchi will move her body and talk passionately about living. We will also experience movements that can be done while sitting on a chair. Please feel the youthfulness and energy that makes it hard to believe that she is 88 years old.